"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~Scott Adams

Thursday, August 5, 2010

DJ, Bring Dat Beat Back!

Although I have a passion for the written word and the many fantastic journeys one can enjoy when words meet a brilliant idea, my first love is music. I need it. Daily. You put me in a room with some headphones, sounds and a stack of tasks and you’ll barely know I’m there. Just ask my co- workers…

The thing is I’m what folks often classify as a music snob. I like what I like and I reject any mainstream box the commercial broadcast bullies would try to confine me to. Blame it on the radio. Even if I DID enjoy listening to Drake, Beyonce and Nikki Minaj, I don’t want to hear their songs all day, everyday!

Just for snits and giggles, listen to the radio (doesn’t matter what station) on your ride in to work and take notice of the songs you hear before getting out of the car to start your day. On the ride home turn the same station on and I’ll bet that you hear the same songs, sometimes in the same order! What’s that you say?

“But, Heatseeker…I was at work for 8 hours!”

I’ll see your 8 hours and raise you with some figures of my own:

The average American song is 4 minutes long. That would allow for 120 songs to be played in that 8 hour (480 minutes) time span. Factor in 12 minutes of every hour that is set aside for sponsors and commercial advertisement and that eliminates 96 minutes from those 8 hours. That leaves 384 minutes for music or 96 average length songs.

I’m no mathematician, but with the limited number of artists they rotate on the radio, they’re either spinning these artists’ entire catalogs or they’re repeating music every time a new DJ starts his or her show.

Outside of listening to National Public Radio, I pretty much turned a deaf ear to the “big” stations years ago. It’s not that I don’t want to keep hearing about how thick and juicy some unknown woman’s body is or that I’m unconcerned about how much crack one sold before getting signed, but…wait…that IS a part of why I don’t listen to the radio! The other reason is just what I was getting at before: there’s so much more out there than what the program projectors (eh hem…directors) choose to offer to the listeners.

I started rolling with podcasts and internet radio years ago and I haven’t looked back. Not only can I get full from a smorgasbord of fiery hot music, but it’s a chance to discover new music and talent that might not otherwise get any play outside of their specific region. I told you all, heat TRULY lies underground. With that in mind, I come bearing gifts today: a collection of some of my favorite locals who are truly keeping fresh and innovative music popping for your listening pleasure. Check them out and let me know what you think.

Soundrotation with your host Duane Powell- http://soundrotation.podomatic.com/
Personally responsible for broadening my horizons, Duane is known for placing hot indie unknowns in the rotation with underground legends to help build a stronger following. He explores all genres and regions to produce some truly classic, mood capturing podcasts. Check out his jazz collective with the Afro Blue podcast. This podcast is the stuff of legend and has been taking the internet by storm! Check out his live vibe on Mondays at The Darkroom, 2210 W. Chicago Avenue.

Fathom DJ- http://www.fathomdj.com/
You THINK your chick is bad…Fathom DJ blends soulful sounds together with music that radio listeners and obscure experimentalists can both appreciate. Whaddya want? House? Garage? Hip hop? Soul? Electronica? Afrobeat? She’s your gal. Name a club in the city, any club. She’s sure to have rocked some bodies and turned the party out. Check for her at Crème de la Femme, the new Thursday night party at Shrine, 2109 S. Wabash.

Jamal Jaytoo Jeffries (thedjyomamaluv)- http://www.jamaljeffries.com/
The name says it all. I’m someone’s mama and I love what he does to the tables! Funk, soul, hip hop…Jaytoo gets the party jumping. You can catch him on Swank Society Radio with “Adventures in Sound Radio” every Monday 11am-1pm and wrecking a party in the Chi at any given time. Check out a sample of his work with his podcast at http://thedjyomamaluv.podomatic.com/ and give him your love. Check him in person on Sundays from 5-11pm with SASS (Sunday Afternoon Soul Sessions) at the Butterfly Social Club, 722 West Grand in Chicago. It’s a party on a Sunday afternoon that you can enjoy early enough to still make it in to work on Monday.

Africa Hot- http://backofthebus.podomatic.com/
Blazin is more like it. In his own words he plays “all kinds of *hit you don’t even know you like yet”. I thought we were going to lose him to New Orleans, but he has decided to forego his move for now and continue to bless us with his banging podcasts. You can often check him out singing back ground vocals for artists as they move their way through town with great indie performances. I’m pleased to announce that you can now catch him spinning in residency on Wednesday from 6-9pm at Juicy Wine Company, 694 North Milwaukee in Chicago’s Riverwest neighborhood. Whew! We almost lost one!

World Vibe Radio- http://www.wvrvibe.com/
An internet station set on changing your idea of what GOOD radio should be. Operating since 2006, this station is progressively growing more popular due to their drive to grant exposure to quality new artists. Radio listeners, don’t worry…they also play quality R&B, Soul, House and Hip Hop. Baby step into the new… They have a host of entertaining DJs, so log on and tune in. There’s something for everybody and they encourage contact from new artists looking to launch their clean, fully crafted music.

Swank Society- http://swanksociety.com/
Despite a number of changes with this internet station over the years, they continue to be a platform for diversity, culture and creativity. The force behind a variety of events and performances throughout the city, you can catch past and present shows from a range of DJs who scour the genres in search of sweet sounds.

Hope you all enjoy. Wanna show your appreciation? I have a minimal request: Read Me. Reply to me. Repost me. Repeat.

-Heat Seeker

10 comments:

  1. This is Gerald Anthony Ceo of World Vibe Radio! Much love to you Tamara Davis for the shout out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to wake some more folks up for the whole new day! Keep spinning em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heat, for me this is informative info to enrich my unwinding times and to increase my range of artists and selections for entry into my mp3 library. And give much love to the special underground DJs doing their thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog ! I too,am a DJ and I have a few shows on WHPK FM. (http://whpk.org)
    "News From the Service Entrance"
    (a public affairs program with music)
    "Dusties Party"
    (spinning the forgotten soul,funk,jazz,blues,etc;from the 60s,70s and 80s)

    Right on Heat Seeker,and keep spreading the word !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love WHPK! Some real talent up there and I THANK YOU for making it easy to tune in. I definitely know News From the Service Entrance! I may just have to hit you guys up and come in to capture the spins on video! THanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do. Give us a call or hit us up on Facebook. "News From the Service Entrance"

    Thanks again !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yo Heat Seeker!!! You'd better come and hang out with us! That would be DOPE! Let's talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mario, I get down with Ms. Tina MF Howell, so I already know I need to put my seatbelt on to hang with you all. You two aint said nothing but a word. I will be hitting you up ASAP! I definitely want to bring attention to what you two are putting out there. Thanks for the love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good insights except that there's no mention of WHPK 88.5FM - CTA Radio or any shows from that Station!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my favorites.
    It's been a minute.


    Alternative Rock Soul-U-Tions
    Your Host: Bro. Talib Al-Kareem
    -
    Alternative Rock Soul-u-tions is a ROCK show that is Funky with a SOULFUL twist to erase the barriers of racially categorized music! Creative Music and Conscious Vibes! Our exploration into Funky Metallic SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUULL FU-SION continues!

    http://www.myspace.com/drocksouljah/blog/460696793

    ReplyDelete