"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~Scott Adams

Friday, September 10, 2010

Bilal Oliver's Chicago Listening Party: Why "Air Tight's Revenge" might actually be against my city




Maybe it’s… I am a seeker in search of a dreamer…” All for Love- B. Oliver


When I found out that Bilal Oliver was coming through Chicago for an intimate listening party I envisioned myself in a sea of “like eared” music lovers getting a soulful sample of his Sept. 14th release, “Air Tight’s Revenge”. Last year was a phenomenal year for the eclectic singer with him receiving a Grammy nod for his appearance on Robert Glasper’s “All Matter”, guest appearances on projects from Terence Blanchard and Shafiq Husayn, while continuing to tour with music from Love for Sale (still some of the best unreleased music some folks have yet to hear). The self proclaimed jazz junkie has been so busy that I just couldn’t wait to indulge in the goodness he surely would be serving up for his first studio release in nearly 10 years. The listening party was to be held at Rumba, a venue known for shutting down acts that aren’t centered in Latin music, so the listening party was going to be blazing, right?

I figured that I’d stop by; I stood in your doorway…” Make Me Over-B. Oliver

I’m not disillusioned about my city or the pallet that dictates the musical tastes of a good number of people here; Chicago is a blues/steppers/old school jazz kinda town. No matter how many soul/new jazz/electronic artists book gigs here, if the artist doesn’t have at least one radio hit from the aforementioned genres, the masses are less likely to be receptive. WOAH! LIGHT BULB MOMENT: Maybe Bilal’s 2001 single “Soul Sista” (still played here as a stepper’s cut) prompted the crowd of unimpressed club goers to show up! Chicago is known for being very laid back, but maybe if those anti-crowd participating folks had just stuck to one of their more favored “model call/industry events” those who actually came to partake of the music could have filled those seats and spaces at the bar. Yeah…it was like that.

Sometimes…I wish I saw the exit sign first…” Sometimes- B. Oliver

It’s probably my own fault. I’ve had the opportunity to engage in some truly intimate events with a few of my favorite artists, including Bilal. That’s probably why I felt the venue to be of inadequate size to hold all the under-whelmed, important folks passing out their business cards in the dimly lit space. I also know some badazz DJs. That would explain why it was so apparent that the quality of the sound system was garbled and static filled, like when you used to record radio songs on your tape player back in the day. (Ack like you didn't do it, too.) It probably also explains why the selections and placement of new and old Bilal songs seemed so contrived and uninspired. I’m a music fan first, so that probably accounts for my discontent with one of the seemingly out of touch, but well known emcees for the evening getting up on the stage and telling the crowd how Chicago is about R&B, Blues and Jazz and not “that hip hop stuff”. Eh hem…no disrespect to what a certain record store may have done for “R-uh”, but do a little research before grabbing the mic. See the collective known as the Soulquarians. Yes…that’s Bilal’s name all up and through the various projects. Bilal with Guru? Bilal and J. Dilla? Any of this registering? (Ay, soundman...Cut his mic, please…) That same emcee later started talking about one of their other events featuring performances by the 1990s light-skinned superfriends, Al B. Sure and Christopher Williams. Pfft! Maybe they got that event right…

There’s got to be more levels…” Levels- Bilal Oliver

Even for some true fans, it is not so much the CD recordings of Bilal’s music that bring them out, as it is his animated personality and complex performances. After all, he did hone his skills by studying jazz in high school, at the University level and on the Philadelphia club scene. I tell people that his performances are a bit like snowflakes in that no two are exactly the same. On a regular tour I’ve seen Bilal accompanied by some truly gifted individuals who take their time to bring out the beauty and concepts of his colorful compositions. He’s been backed by the legendary Roots Crew for goodness sake! Alas, a listening party is a far cry from a tour and the few songs that were performed were…played by the band that got the gig. Again...

The whole thing has got me searchin…” Love Poems- B. Oliver

Yeah, I sprinkled in some lyrics from a few of my favorite Bilal songs. That’s always been a part of the enchantment I’ve found with his performances. When fans are in the building you’d think they were in the studio with him when he recorded those songs. What truly amazes me is when people close their eyes, throw one hand in the air and sing songs from an album (Love for Sale) that was never released by his former label. The label may not have known what to do with the album, but I (along with countless other fans) certainly knew what to do with it: Burn, baby, burn! The album itself may not have earned him any sound scans, but those concerts where both men and women can be seen swaying and singing:

“I played the fool before…stared at the sun ‘til it burned out my eyesight; Blind, but a man must move on…no time for regrets; who lives to rehearse?”



PRICELESS! Hearing the old faves from any artist will usually get those ears open for the offering of new music. Sadly, this was hardly the scene for the listening party. People seemed too occupied with their drink orders and buzzing conversations to even clap, let alone recite lyrics. It’s situations like this that make me fear that performers who don’t get radio play in the city will stop scheduling Chicago as a stop during their tour dates altogether. Really, who could blame them? These artists make a good deal of their money from touring and if the “fans” are unreceptive AND the marketing group promotes and hosts a lack luster event, well…guess I may eventually have to start tacking air fare on to the cost of my concert tickets. Sigh…

I’m saying this because I love ya and I wanna grow witcha baby…but you wanna run in the other direction…” Sometimes- B.Oliver

I may be considered a music snob, but I am certainly not alone in my sentiments about that listening party. I can only hope that those who actually wanted to hear the new material got a chance through some other method. I found some beautifully produced video footage by a cat named Mikael Colombu called “Sessions in tiny tent”. Check it out and hear how a badazz, take- no- prisoners band gets down on some of the new music. HEAT! Not surprisingly, my always trusted, favorite free station (National Public Radio) also has the entire release available (temporarily) for a first listen. In case you haven’t heard, take a listen at NPR.Org-Music First Listen. I’m hoping that by the time Bilal announces his official tour dates, those of us here in the city who actually WANT to attend the show won’t have to miss out because of the mishandling of a few.

Yeah...I already know what some folks will say about this, but as always...

Read me. Reply to me. Repost me. Repeat.

-Heatseeker

10 comments:

  1. im not sure what to say .. chicago is an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've gotta' just adore this place (Chicago) and it's antiquated, yet hoi-polloi mindset! LOL!!! I do love this city, but somethings have to change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aum, you could continue to anticipate the people to change their mind sets in this city, however realistically you'll be waiting forever. It's always going to be a crab in the bucket mentality here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could add so much to this but I'll refrain but I definitely suggest adding the price of a plane ticket to your concert ticket. You're spirit will soar. The sad thing is Chicago still have people who REALLY love good music & are afraid to come out because of things like this taking place or of fear they won't get treated well when they go to certain venues. Hopefully with new leadership coming in politics will bring different zoning laws that will allow others to open new venues that will have the soulful in mind. I won't be around to see it, so you guys will have to tell me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that your expected soulful nite with Bilal was ruined by industry b*tches. I cannot stand that crowd either, so much pretentiousness and arrogance clouds up the space. I'm almost glad I didn't make it b/c I would've been disgruntled too. I am a sucker for Bilal as the dope and heartfelt lyricist that he is. And it's very easy to tell that he is jazz-influenced. As for the music scene, there are still some underground gems and events where you can close your eyes and vibe with the whole room, it's just a rare experience these days b/c ppl are way too concerned with name droppin' and collar poppin'. It's sad, but I remain optimistic. It's a means of survival for me. Thanks for the lyrics - great reminder of what Bilal consistently offers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahahahahaha im sorry i laugh but this is what happens when everyone is so self important that going out is all about YOU and not US.... meaning if you go to a music venue for something other than music please stand outside and pass out your cards and hobknob...and now the promoter are truly out fpor self in regards to making mo money mo money mo money..hmmmm maybe because us music fans rarely have moments and money to drop large like that..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Facebook Society, or should I say the The Connected Generation seem to become more discombobulated the smarter our "devices" become. A lot of people are smitten with "look-at-me" syndrome and act as if they are starring in their own reality show sans television camera. It's not just Chicago that is experiencing this particular malaise, its gone global. It explains why the top 10 music charts of any genres sound like crap, for lack of a better word. How many among us still take the time to give music its space in our own domicile. I mean put music on sit down and listen w/o the TV going and without using the music as a backdrop to housecleaning? Given the attention-span problems that seem prevalent, I would venture a guess at not very many. Maybe the Heatseeker can inspire more to sit back shut up and listen to the music. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I must comment (knowing full well that I am perhaps speaking from Rumba's version of the ivory tower). In reflection, I agree with your assessment of the "listening party. At the time, however, I was so engaged and thrilled to actually see him (finally) and hear him perform (albeit 2 songs) that I was somewhat oblivious to the rest of the space.

    I sat at one of the tables in the center of the floor. My view of the stage was unobstructed, and I was less than 5 feet from where Bilal rested and decided to "eat some mussels and drink a mojito" after his mini-performance, after which I clapped feverishly. I took photos. I yelled as Bilal performed a loose and snappy Soul Sister. I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

    Yes, I was DEEPLY disappointed that the DJ did not continue playing music from the album and instead chose to play other soulful artists. Yes, they were artists that I love just as much, but I was really looking forward to hearing the music--Bilal's new music. Yes, I was disappointed that at the beginning of the show, there was no formal introduction of the album, and that the DJ just sort of dropped it on our ears, intermingling it with the crowd noise. But, let's be clear. I'm not disappointed in the listening party itself. I'm just glad Bilal agreed to have one here! Let's be honest. It doesn't happen much...with any artist. Maybe it's because of events like this, maybe it's due to the venues in Chicago acting like asses. Maybe there is some Chicago attitude that makes artists want to dismiss this city. I can't say what the problem REALLY is, but I do know that people in the know who want to see Bilal will see Bilal. They may be outnumbered by, as you put it, a "crowd of unimpressed club goers," but they'll be there. The club goers actually help finance the events. They're the ones ordering the triple distilled this or that, and sipping on their vsop, paying for the event to happen so that music lovers (like myself) can enjoy themselves relatively cost free. Don't get me wrong. I ordered food and one of those cocktails. It was DELICIOUS! But I ate it well before the show started.

    I got to shake his hand, get an autograph, hear some of his music and see him perform live in an intimate space..an arms length away. I was good! When I went to the restroom, the reality of the throngs of people vying for space (instead of listening to the music) hit me. I chose to ignore them. And I had a great time.

    "All For Love" is my favorite, by the way. Great quote!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been to a listening party before. I wondered why I was one of the very few who were actually LISTENING and singing along with Bilal, even though the sound system was bad and the band was, uh, not the LRC. I was disappointed with the overall experience but I still love his music and will go see him when he comes back- to a different venue, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As much as I grow disappointed in some of the lack luster events that take place at times (for whatever reason), I am glad to know that SOMEONE experienced a good time from that listening party. It certainly is a minority comment amidst the feedback I heard from others about the event. It's nice that some folks were able to shake his hand, but what if I said that the last event allowed for even more of a down to earth interaction like shooting pool with him? Seeing him perform in his element without abbreviation? This is the kind of thing people expect for their money, especially in these lean times. Not every event is going to be the same, but the over all quality of an event can certainly influence whether or not people will show up for a next time.

    Thanks to everyone for your comments! Peace!

    ReplyDelete